Well I got hit straight in the face by a virus this week, nasty little mite. You all know it, achy muscles and bones, hot eyes, sore throat etc… It can knock even the healthiest person sideways for a couple of days.
A common cold should not last for more than 3-4 days. When using natural therapies in shifting colds & flu they involve assisting the body rather than suppressing symptoms as drugs do, therefore the symptoms of the cold & flu temporarily worsen.
Many of the symptoms of colds and flu are a result of our body’s defence mechanisms – Interferon the immune-stimulating compound is released by our blood cells and other tissues during infections and this is responsible for many symptoms. The suppression of a fever is thought to counteract a major defence mechanism and prolong the infection so however uncomfortable a high temperature is just sweat it out.
Here are some simple & useful tips to help you naturally fight these nasty little seasonal bugs:
- Rest – nothing is that important that it can’t wait for a few days, your health is – Get to bed!
- Liquids – drink lots of water
- Echinacea – huge immune enhancing effects, a tincture is best
- Vit C – 2000mg twice a day
- Hot lemon with grated ginger & a teaspoon of honey – anti-inflammatory & anti-viral
- Cayenne pepper – 8th teaspoon in warm water – promotes circulation and helps sweat it out. I use Potters Lifedrops, it’s a tincture made from Capsicum, Elderflowers and Peppermint oil, it’s really effective
- Home made hearty soups – pack them full of virus fighting compounds – colourful veg and especially onions & garlic
- Keep warm – simple but effective
After a few days you should feel back to normal.