Acupuncture can be used safely and effectively during an IVF cycle. Many couples use acupuncture to help improve their chances of conceiving. To optimize your results, ideally it would be best to see you at least three months before your IVF cycle is due to begin. However, there are still plenty of useful things that can be done to help if the interval is shorter. One treatment per week up to egg retrieval plus treatment at the time of embryo transfer is recommended.
Acupuncture for IVF offers you a natural way to optimize your fertility during the critical 4-6 months before you begin an assisted cycle. An IVF and Acupuncture preconception program can help you ensure that your body is in the best condition to conceive before you try IVF. Helena will work with you to do an in-depth evaluation of your situation and create a personalised treatment plan based on your individual diagnosis.
IVF Preconception Care
In the month before your IVF/ICSI cycle, an evidence-based acupuncture protocol is followed to prepare your body for embryo transfer. Research has shown that acupuncture helps improve the success rate of IVF/ICSI by:
- Improving blood flow to the ovaries and uterus
- Improving response to hormonal stimulation
- Alleviating possible side effects of fertility medications
- Improving the thickness and perfusion of blood to the uterine lining
- Calming the uterus to help prepare for and support implantation
- Reducing stress and promoting relaxation
- Women who had acupuncture report feeling less anxious, more relaxed and at peace during their IVF cycle.
- Optimal care for IVF clients includes a course of acupuncture sessions before your egg retrieval and at the time of implantation
IVF Embryo Transfer
On the day of your embryo transfer, a relaxing acupuncture treatment before and after your transfer is recommended following a specific protocol . A well-respected study using acupuncture with IVF showed the acupuncture group had a success rate of 42.5%, compared with 26.3% in the control group, when treated with acupuncture before and after their IVF embryo transfer (an increase of 65%)
Pregnancy Support (first trimester)
With a positive pregnancy test result, continuing with weekly acupuncture treatments until 12-13 weeks, to help stabilize and support your pregnancy is recommended. This is especially important if you have had a previous miscarriage or with pregnancies conceived using IVF. The treatments are gentle and supportive and help promote a healthy pregnancy.